Lamb Steaks with Beetroot Burghul Salad
300 grams lamb rump steaks
200 grams red cabbage
200 grams chickpeas
20 grams parsley
10 grams mint
2 tbsp fine grit burghul
2 green spring onions
1 cloves garlic
1 tbsp honey*
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar*
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– peel and coarsely grate beetroot
– wash, trim and shred red cabbage
– wash and thinly slice green spring onions
– wash and coarsely chop parsley
– wash and coarsely chop mint
– drain and rinse chickpeas
– peel and crush garlic
1. Place burghul in a bowl with 2 times hot water. Mix well. Stand, covered for 15 minutes.
2. Make a dressing by whisking honey and vinegar with olive oil (1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil). Season with salt and pepper. Toss lamb with a spoon or two of the dressing to coat. Reserve remaining dressing.
3. Make hummus by blending the chickpeas with lemon juice, a few tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and a dash of water.
4. Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add burghul and reserved dressing. Toss to combine.
5. Heat a lightly oiled, large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add lamb in 300g batches. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove. Rest, covered loosely with foil.
6. Serve lamb with salad and hummus.