Spiced Cauliflower Brown Rice
250 grams cauliflower
60 grams baby spinach
20 grams mint
2 yellow squash
2 tbsp currants
1 cups brown rice
1 tsp garam masala and cumin
1 tsp red wine vinegar*
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– pre-heat oven to 200C
– wash and cut cauliflower into small florets
– wash and cut yellow squash into 1cm-thick wedges
– peel and grate carrots
– wash baby spinach
– wash, remove leaves and shred mint
1. Use ratio of 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. Add both to a saucepan with a pinch of salt and bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, turn heat to low and cook for 18-20 minutes. Test because brown rice can be temperamental! Stand covered for 5 minutes, fluff up with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, toss cauliflower and squash with spices, salt and pepper and half the oil in a roasting pan.
3. Cook in oven for about 20 minutes, or until browned and tender. Remove. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
4. Add oil and vinegar (1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil) to hot roasting pan. Stir to combine with any spice mixture in pan. Pour over vegetables.
5. Add rice to vegetables with carrots and spinach. Stir through mint and currants.