Eggplant and Haloumi Burgers
400 grams sweet potatoes
120 grams haloumi
60 grams cos lettuce
20 grams basil
2 tbsp mayonnaise*
2 bread rolls*
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– pre-heat oven to 200C
– peel and cut sweet potato into 1cm thick chips
– rinse and cut eggplant into 2cm thick rounds
– cut haloumi into 0.5cm slices
– wash lettuce leaves
– rinse and thinly slice tomatoes
– wash and finely chop basil, stir into mayonnaise
1. Toss sweet potato with olive oil. Season. Place in a single layer on oven trays lined with baking paper. Cook in oven for about 25 minutes, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, toss eggplant with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add eggplant in batches. Cook for about 4 – 5 minutes on each side until tender. Remove. Cover to keep warm.
4. Toss haloumi with olive oil. Cook, in same pan over a medium heat for about 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
5. To assemble burgers, spread both sides of cut rolls with basil mayonnaise. Fill with lettuce, eggplant, tomato and haloumi. Serve with sweet potato chips.