Chicken with Cajun Rice and Avocado Lime Salad
300 grams free range chicken breast fillets
20 grams parsley
2 tsp Cajun spice mix
2 tbsp flaked almonds
1 stalks celery
1 cups jasmine rice
1 red capsicums
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– wash and chop avocados
– wash parsley
– peel and finely chop onions
– wash and finely chop red capsicums
– wash and thinly slice celery stalks
– cut chicken in half horizontally and toss with half the spice mix
1. Use ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice along with a pinch of salt. Add both to a saucepan and bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, turn heat to low and cook for 14 minutes. Then stand covered for 5 minutes, fluff up with a fork.
2. Heat half the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add chicken in 300g batches. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked. Remove. Cover to keep warm.
3. To finish rice, heat remaining oil in same pan over a medium heat. Add onions, capsicums and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until browned and tender. Stir in remaining spice mix and rice. Cook, stirring, until hot.
4. Finely grate rind from lime. Squeeze the juice. Combine with avocado and parsley in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix gently.
5. Serve chicken over rice topped with avocado salad.