Red Lentil Cauliflower and Eggplant Curry
200 ml coconut milk
150 grams cauliflower
60 grams baby spinach
2 Lebanese eggplant
1 cup dried red lentils
1 cup jasmine rice
1 tbsp red curry paste
1 tsp brown sugar*
extra virgin olive oil*
– pop a pot of water on to boil
– peel, halve and thinly slice onions
– soak red lentils in cold water
– wash and cut eggplant into 3cm pieces
– wash and cut cauliflower into florets
– wash baby spinach
1. Use ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice. Add both to a saucepan and bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, turn heat to low and cook for 14 minutes. Then stand covered for 5 minutes, fluff up with a fork.
2. Heat an oiled, stockpot over a medium to high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add paste and break up with a spoon. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute until fragrant.
4. Drain lentils and add to the pan along with coconut cream, a little water, lemon juice and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Stir in eggplant and cauliflower. Return to boil.
Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove lid. Simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in spinach until just wilted and serve with rice.