Pumpkin Chicken Massaman
400 ml light coconut milk
350 grams butternut pumpkin
300 grams free range chicken thigh fillets
20 grams coriander
2 tbsp massaman curry paste
1 kaffir lime leaves
2 tbsp roasted unsalted peanuts
1 cup jasmine rice
0.5 bunch broccolini
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– pop a large pan with about 5cm of salted water on to boil
– peel and cut butternut pumpkin into 3cm pieces
– rinse, trim and cut chicken thigh fillets into 2cm-wide strips
– wash and trim broccolini, cut into 3cm lengths
– peel and thinly slice onion
– wash kaffir lime leaves
– wash and chop coriander
1. Use ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice. Add both to a saucepan and bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, turn heat to low and cook for 14 minutes. Then stand covered for 5 minutes, fluff up with a fork.
2. Boil pumpkin for 5-7 minutes until tender. Check with the tip of a knife. Drain.
3. Heat a large wok over a high heat. Toss chicken with olive oil, salt & pepper. and add to the hot pan in 300g batches. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes, or until browned and almost cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
4. Heat remaining oil in same hot wok over a medium heat. Add onion. Stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until tender. Reduce heat to low. Add paste. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in coconut milk and lime leaf. Bring to boil. Add broccolini and return chicken to wok. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Stir in pumpkin.
5. Sprinkle nuts and coriander over curry. Serve with rice.