Pan-Fried Fish with Smashed Potatoes and Tomato Jam
300 grams wild caught blue grenadier fillets
300 grams chat potatoes
100 grams green beans
100 grams cherry tomatoes
10 grams thyme
10 grams oregano
2 green spring onions
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar*
1 tsp brown sugar*
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– wash tomatoes
– wash thyme
– wash and trim green beans
– peel and thickly slice carrots diagonally
– halve potatoes
– wash and thinly slice green spring onions
– wash and chop oregano
1. To make smashed potatoes, boil potatoes in a large stockpot until tender. Drain.
2. Heat oil in same stockpot. Add onions. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add potatoes and oregano. Stir and roughly break potatoes with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
3. Add carrot and a little salted water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add beans for 3-4 minutes from boiling.
4. Heat a dash of olive oil in non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add fish, skin side down. Cook for about 5 minutes pressing down so the skin keeps contact with the pan. Flip and cook on the other side for a further 3 minutes or until cooked. Remove. Cover to keep warm.
5. Wipe frying pan clean. Add a dash more olive oil, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, thyme and water. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve fish with smashed potatoes and tomato jam.