Orecchiette with Bacon and Salsa Verde
250 grams orecchiette
200 grams free range bacon
100 grams cherry tomatoes
20 grams basil
20 grams parsley
2 tbsp capers
1 cloves garlic
0.5 bunches broccolini
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
*local asparagus as pictured not available
– pop on pan of salted water to boil
– rinse, trim and cut broccolini into 4cm lengths
– wash and halve cherry tomatoes
– rinse basil and parsley
– drain and rinse capers
– peel and crush garlic
– chop bacon into 2cm wide strips
1. Boil pasta in salted water for 9 minutes until al dente. Add broccolini in the final 2 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving a cup of the cooking water and place in a large bowl.
2. To make salsa verde, zest lemon and then squeeze juice. Process lemon juice and zest, basil, parsley, capers, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor until combined.
3. Meanwhile, heat a lightly oiled, large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add bacon and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until crisp. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Break into smaller pieces.
4. Add bacon and tomatoes to the pasta and broccolini. Loosen with a little of the reserved water if the pasta is sticking. Pour over salsa verde and toss gently to combine.