Beef and Eggplant Parmigiana
300 grams grass fed yearling beef schnitzel
300 grams chat potatoes
200 grams diced tomatoes
100 grams green beans
100 grams cherry tomatoes
30 grams mozzarella cheese
20 grams basil
2 Lebanese eggplant
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– pre-heat oven to 240C
– cut eggplant lengthways into 0.5 cm-thick slices
– wash basil and pick leaves
– wash and halve cherry tomatoes
– wash and trim green beans
– quarter potatoes
1. In a saucepan, half cover potatoes in cold salted water bring to the boil and cover. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add beans for a further 4 minutes and check. Drain and cover to keep warm.
2. Toss eggplant with olive oil, salt and pepper. Heat a large, non-stick, frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add eggplant and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until browned and just tender. Remove.
3. Toss beef with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat same pan over a high heat until very hot. Add two pieces of beef at a time. Cook for about 30 seconds on each side, or until browned but not cooked through. Remove.
4. Remove pan from heat. Arrange beef in an oven dish, folding pieces in half to fit. Top with eggplant and half the basil. Pour over passata and top with tomatoes. Arrange cheese in teaspoon sized dots rather than sprinkled.
5. Cook in oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until mozzarella have melted and sauce is hot. Garnish with remaining basil leaves. Serve with potatoes and green beans.