Thai Beef, Tomato and Peanut Salad
300 grams grass fed rump steak
100 grams cherry tomatoes
100 grams bean thread noodles
10 grams mint
20 grams coriander
2 tbsp roasted peanuts
1 red chilli
1 cloves garlic
1 Lebanese cucumber
2 tbsp soy sauce*
1 tsp caster sugar*
extra virgin olive oil*
– wash, length lengthways and thinly slice cucumber
– wash and remove leaves from coriander, finely chop stems
– wash mint, pick leaves and chop
– rinse and chop chilli
– rinse and quarter cherry tomatoes
– peel and crush garlic
1. To make sauce, squeeze juice from lemon and combine with soy sauce, garlic, coriander stems and sugar.
2. Brush steak on both sides with oil. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add steak. Cook on one side until first signs of moisture appear. Turn steaks once only. Test how cooked the steaks are with back of tongs. Rare is soft, medium feels springy and well done is very firm. Remove. Stand, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes. Cut into thin slices.
3. Cover the noodles with boiling water for about 3 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water and drain.
4. Add noodles, steak, cucumber, mint, coriander and chilli to serving bowls and add sauce. Toss to coat. Use as much or as little chilli as you prefer.
5. Sprinkle over peanuts and garnish with coriander leaves.