Salt and Pepper Tofu with Vegetable Noodles
300 grams firm tofu
100 grams dried egg noodles
2 green spring onions
1 red chilli
1 red capsicum
0.5 bunch broccolini
2 tsp cornflour*
2 tbsp soy sauce*
vegetable or olive oil*
salt and pepper*
– pop a pan of water on to boil
– wash and chop spring onions
– wash and thinly slice red chilli
– wash, peel and thinly slice carrots
– wash and cut red capsicum into thin strips
– wash, trim and cut broccolini into 5cm lengths
1. Cut tofu into 1cm thick slices. Place slices between layers of absorbent kitchen paper. Press gently to remove any moisture being careful not to crumble tofu.
Drop the noodle balls into the water and boil for 5-6 minutes. Drain and cover to keep warm..
2. Heat an oiled wok over a high heat. Add onions and chilli. Stir-fry until softened. Combine in a bowl with half the soy sauce and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
3. Heat same oiled wok over a high heat. Add carrots, capsicum and broccolini. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes, or until almost tender. Add noodles. Stir-fry until hot. Add the remaining soy sauce. Cover to keep warm.
4. Heat enough oil to cover base of a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Dust tofu in cornflour seasoned heavily with salt and pepper. Gently add to pan in batches of 4 to 6 pieces. Cook for about 1 minute, on each side, or until golden brown. Drain.
5. Serve tofu over noodles topped with spring onion mix.