Rosemary Beef Ragu Penne
We love this time of year because winter = ragu! The Italians have been cooking up this saucy dish for centuries, and we are taking their hard work and simplifying it. Using grass fed minced beef means this hearty dish is ready to eat in under 20 minutes. Easy peasy!
300 grams grass fed beef mince
250 grams penne
20 grams parsley
20 grams finely grated parmesan
2 cloves garlic
2 Roma tomato
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 sprig rosemary
1 stalks celery
0.5 brown onion
300 ml water
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
1. Place onion, carrot, celery, garlic and rosemary in a food processor. Process until finely chopped. In Italian cooking this is called soffritto!
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the soffritto and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Increase heat to high. Add mince and cook, stirring occasionally until mince is browned.
3. Add tomato paste, allowing to cook out for 30 seconds or so, then add a dash of pasta water, tomato and plenty of salt and pepper. Simmer rapidly, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until thickened. Check flavour and season more if needed.
4. Meanwhile, boil pasta for . Drain, reserving a mug of the cooking water to use in the step above.
5. Toss pasta through ragu and serve topped with parmesan and parsley.