Pumpkin and Bean Basmati Pilaf
300 grams butternut pumpkin
200 grams chickpeas
100 grams green beans
20 grams coriander
2 spring onions
2 tsp basmati spices
1 clove garlic
1 cups basmati rice
1.5 cups water
1 Lebanese cucumbers
2 tbsp Greek yoghurt*
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– slice spring onions, keeping white and green separate
– peel and cut butternut pumpkin into 3cm pieces
– wash, trim and halve green beans
– drain and rinse chickpeas
– wash and chop coriander, keeping leaves and stems separate
– cut lemon into wedges to serve
– deseed and chop cucumber
1. Heat oil in a large, deep, frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add whites of onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until soft. Add pumpkin and spices. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add rice, cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute.
2. Stir in measured water. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in beans and chickpeas. Cook, covered a further 3 to 5 minutes, or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in coriander stems. Stand, covered, for 2 minutes.
3. Combine yogurt with lemon zest, a little juice, cucumber, salt and pepper to make raita.
4. Serve pilaf with cucumber yoghurt, coriander and lemon wedges.