400 grams kidney beans
60 grams rocket
20 grams parsley
20 grams coriander
2 tsp Mexican spices
2 roma tomatoes
1 red onion
1 cobs corn
0.5 red capsicum
0.5 Lebanese cucumber
2 crusty bread rolls* (optional)
white wine vinegar*
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– peel, halve and thinly slice onions
– wash and chop tomatoes
– wash and cut capsicum into strips
– drain and rinse beans
– remove husk and silk from corn and cut away kernels
– wash and chop parsley and coriander
– wash rocket
– wash and chop cucumber
1. Heat a good slug of olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add spice mix. Cook, stirring for 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Add tomatoes, capsicum, beans and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Cook covered for about 5 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft.
3. One at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl then pour on top of bean mixture. Cook, covered with a lid or some foil, without stirring, for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until egg whites are set and yolks are soft.
4. Make a side salad of rocket and cucumber, and dress with a little oil and vinegar using a rough ratio of 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. Season with salt & pepper and toss to combine.
5. Sprinkle huevos rancheros with parsley and coriander. Serve with crusty bread rolls and side salad.