Chilli Jam Pumpkin Stir-Fry
400 grams butternut pumpkin
100 grams green beans
20 grams basil
1 green chilli
1 cup jasmine rice
1 red onion
1 red capsicum
2 tbsp soy sauce*
1 brown sugar*
extra virgin olive oil*
salt & pepper*
– pop a little water in a steamer or large saucepan
– peel and deseed pumpkin, cut into 1cm slices
– peel onion, thinly slice half and finely dice the other half
– wash and finely chop green chilli
– wash and cut capsicums into thin strips
– wash, trim and diagonally halve beans
– wash basil and pick leaves
– cut lime into wedges
1. Steam pumpkin for about 5 minutes until firm but just tender. Drain. Cool. Use a sieve or colander and a lid if you don’t have a steamer.
2. Add the diced onion and green chilli to a saucepan with a little olive oil and brown sugar. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and beginning to caremelise. Add soy sauce and cook until liquid has reduced and it’s beginning to thicken.
3. Use ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice. Add both to a saucepan and bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid, turn heat to low and cook for 14 minutes. Then stand covered for 5 minutes, fluff up with a fork.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large wok over a high heat. Add sliced onion, capsicum and beans. Stir-fry for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add pumpkin, chilli jam and soy sauce. Gently stir-fry until hot. Stir in basil.
5. Serve pumpkin over rice with lime wedges.