The most controversial Christmas side dish is surely Brussels sprouts.Love them or hate them, they’ve been given a pretty bad rap. Served plain and over-steamed I’m firmly in the ‘hate them’ camp. But with a few tweaks they can become an amazing addition to your Christmas table that will get people talking.
- a couple of handfuls of sprouts, tailed
- a couple of handfuls of shallots, peeled and left whole
- a couple of handfuls cooked peeled chestnuts
- a few rashers of chopped smoked bacon, or the same quantity of pancetta
- a very large knob of butter
- a handful of fresh sage, chopped
1. Heat a large frying pan over a high heat with a good olive oil
2. Add the bacon and shallots and cook for 5 min until caramelised
3. Add the sprouts, chestnuts, sage and the butter, cover with a lid and cook for a further 5 min, then season and serve.
So easy, and so delicious. We’ll have more ideas for festive sides coming up! Happy Christmas!