195 calories per serve
Huevos Rancheros, or rancher’s eggs, gets its name from its traditional role as the mid-morning meal on the farms of Mexico. This hearty dish is the perfect vegetarian feast, and will keep you going all day (or night) long!
400 grams mixed beans
20 grams parsley
20 grams coriander
2 cobs corn
1 tbsp Mexican spices
0.5 red capsicum
2 crusty bread rolls*, to serve
extra virgin olive oil*
salt and pepper*
First a little prep
– peel, halve and thinly slice onions
– wash and chop tomatoes
– wash and cut capsicum into strips
– drain and rinse beans
– remove husks from corn and cut away kernels
– wash and chop parsley and coriander
Now let’s cook
1. – Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add spice mix. Cook, stirring for 30 seconds until fragrant.
2. – Add tomatoes, capsicum, beans, corn and a dash of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft and flavour has developed.
3. – One at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl then pour on top of bean mixture. Cook, covered, without stirring, for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until egg whites are set and yolks are soft.
4. – Sprinkle with parsley and coriander. Serve with crusty bread rolls.