Teriyaki Tofu Sushi Bowls
300 grams firm tofu
0.75 cup sushi rice
1 cups water
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 nori sheets
1 Lebanese cucumbers
2 tbsp mayonnaise*
2 tbsp white vinegar* (or rice vinegar if you have it)
extra virgin olive oil*
– soak rice in cold water
– carefully cut tofu into 2cm pieces
– peel and cut carrots into thin matchsticks
– wash, halve and thinly slice cucumbers diagonally
– wash and thinly slice avocado
– thinly shred nori sheets
1. To make sushi rice, rinse rice well under cold water. Add rice and measured water in a saucepan over a high heat. Stir until boiling. Cover with lid. Reduce heat to low. Gently simmer for 8-10 minutes, checking that there is no more water. Remove from heat.
2. Pour vinegar over rice, stir gently using a wooden or plastic spoon, not metal, and spread out onto a tray to cool.
3. Meanwhile, heat an oiled, non-stick wok over a high heat until very hot. Carefully add tofu and fry for about 2 minutes, or until browned.
4. Remove wok from heat. Add teriyaki sauce and sesame seeds.
5. Serve rice topped with carrot, cucumber, avocado and tofu. Sprinkle with nori and drizzle with mayonnaise. Season with a little extra soy if needed.