Teriyaki Tofu Sushi Bowls
300 grams firm tofu
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 Lebanese cucumbers
1 nori sheets
1 cup sushi rice
1.25 cups water
2 tbsp mayonnaise*
2 tbsp white vinegar* (or rice vinegar if you have it)
0.5 tsp caster sugar*
extra virgin olive oil*
– soak rice in cold water
– carefully cut tofu into 2cm pieces
– peel and cut carrots into thin matchsticks
– wash, halve and thinly slice cucumbers diagonally
– wash and thinly slice avocado
– thinly shred nori sheets
1. To make sushi rice, rinse rice well under cold water. Add rice and measured water in a saucepan over a high heat. Stir until boiling. Cover with lid. Reduce heat to low. Gently simmer for 8-10 minutes, checking that there is no more water. Remove from heat.
2. Transfer rice to a large bowl (not metal). Mix vinegar and sugar together and pour over rice, stir gently using a wooden or plastic spoon (not metal). Leave aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, heat an oiled, non-stick wok over a high heat until very hot. carefully add tofu and fry for about 2 minutes, or until browned.
4. Remove wok from heat. Add sauce and sesame seeds.
5. Serve rice topped with carrot, cucumber, avocado and tofu. Sprinkle with nori and drizzle with mayonnaise.