195 calories per serve
The kitchens of Sicily are famous for their flavoursome, hearty dishes, and this is no exception! Rich in flavour, this quick Italian stew is perfect for warming cold tummies on a rainy Autumn night.
250 grams fusilli pasta
150 grams button mushrooms
50 grams Feta cheese
20 grams basil
2 Lebanese eggplant
1 red chilli
1 cloves garlic
extra virgin olive oil*
salt and pepper*
First a little prep
– pop a large pan of salted water on to boil
– finely chop chilli
– wash, halve and thinly slice eggplant
– peel and crush garlic
– thinly slice mushrooms
– wash basil, pick leaves and tear
– wash and dice tomatoes
Now let’s cook
1. – Cook pasta according to packet directions. Drain, reserving a mug of the cooking water. Return pasta to pan. Cover to keep warm.
2. – Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium to high heat. Add eggplant and chilli. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender.
3. – Add tomatoes and a dash of the reserved cooking water to pan and season. Bring to boil. Simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened. Stir in pasta and basil, keeping a few leaves back to garnish.
4. – Serve topped with crumbled Feta cheese. Garnish with extra basil leaves.