Corn and Bean Mexican Salad
200 grams kidney beans
60 mixed salad leaves
20 grams coriander leaves and stems
6 El Cielo mixta corn tortillas
1 fresh corn cobs
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil*
1 tbsp white wine vinegar*
1 tsp honey or brown sugar*
salt & pepper*
– pre-heat oven to 180C
– drain and rinse beans
– peel and coarsely grate carrots
– cut kernels from corn with a sharp knife
– wash and chop coriander
– peel and chop avocados
1. Cut tortillas into thin strips and toss in a little olive oil. Spread over an baking tray and cook the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking, or until crisp.
2. Meanwhile, cook corn in a dry non stick frying pan for about 10 minutes, or until lightly charred.
3. To make dressing, whisk oil, vinegar, honey or brown sugar and cumin.
4. Just before serving, place tortilla strips, corn, beans, carrots and coriander in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
5. Arrange leaves on a serving plate. Spoon over salad. Drizzle with dressing. Top with avocados.